The Birth of a Vision

It was the beginning of Lent (2008) and I was walking out of a beautiful Roman Catholic retreat center, talking with a dear friend from our beloved church. We were talking about our parish life, especially our rhythm of seasonal retreats (like that very one), practicing the spiritual disciplines together. We were rejoicing in the community Christ is building in our midst and out of us. And on the grounds of this serene retreat center, our unity in Christ seemed more palpable than ever.

Like many in our church, and like my wife and I were until deep into our thirties, this friend is single. Singleness has its rewards, no doubt. I could not have gone to grad school in Europe for as long as I did (won't say how long!), and could not have taken quite the cultural education in languages and travel that I did, were I not free-wheeling it. But singleness is difficult, too. I struggled with loneliness and felt forced to forge communal ties on my own, sometimes without much reciprocation.

What's worse, I think that singleness in Europe may be easier to bear than in America because here in the U.S. of A.--especially in Christian churches--so much community life seems to hinge on being married with children. I guess it was because European life does not feel as socially segregated as in America; marriage was not the threshold requirement it has always felt to me in America. Still, I say 'may' because I truly had limited experience, State-side. I was only single for 2 years once I returned to America. . .then again, is it telling that they were two of the most difficult years of my life?

At any rate, as my friend and I talked, an idea hit me. There we were on the grounds of a retreat center, where Catholic sisters share a common life and so graciously welcome others into their midst. Why don't we Protestants--specifically we Anglicans--do (something of) the same? And why does that communal life have to be for celibates only? Why couldn't we, as a church, invest in property like this and build our single-family homes, our condos and townhomes, even our apartment buildings together? We could meet together for daily prayer and weekly worship. We could dine together and relax together, too. All of it, I dreamt, within an Anglican context, with its ethos of common prayer, centered around parish life. What better way to rebuild broken lives and churches and reach the world than to live out of faith together?

This idea--this dream, this vision--struck me with a force I've rarely experienced before. Those who know me, know I am a dreamer. Big ideas are not unusual for me. (It took my wife awhile to recognize the difference between my dreams and my plans for action, but I gather it was a (sometimes unwelcome) roller coaster ride for her until she did.) But this was different than just another big idea. Simultaneous with the idea, the dream, the vision came an overwhelming sense that I was called to pray for this. I could dream about the idea, but if it were to become a vision that others might share with me, I would need to pray and invite Jesus to inhabit it. He would have to move me forward in this vision and bring others into the picture to collaborate with me, if I were to act at all.

So starting this past February, I began to pray about a vision for community building in and around Anglican parish life.

A week or two into my praying I discovered this post (which its author and I now reproduce below). I'd never read (or even heard of) the All Souls Anglican Missionary Journal before, but I agreed with the vision at every single point. It seemed like an initial answer to prayer to find someone else dreaming of the potential for community within the Anglican tradition.

So I contacted the blogger and to make a long story short, our e-exchange eventuated in this joint-blog. Together, we decided to found the Anglican Community Project blog. As the subtitle above indicates, we are devoted to "exploring the renewal of Anglicanism through intentional community."

Let me highlight a few points worthy of note.

First, our collaborative effort is an exploration. We are, as it were, on the way to intentional community. The two of us met, initially, as total strangers and are now traveling (at least a ways) together, and who knows when or where this may end. That said, we are not about to run off and do something rash. We may not ever be in an intentional community ourselves, let alone together. I am sure we won't even agree on all points. I expect, too, that our individual and collective visions may evolve. Nevertheless, this blog exists in order to find greater wisdom and insight about sustainable community-building efforts within the traditional Anglican ethos. We invite others to join us in our search and to contribute their knowledge and resources, too.

We do both agree on the 8 points of "An Anglican Community" and are especially committed to classical, Anglican orthodoxy. That brings me to a second point. We are committed to the renewal of Anglicanism. Both of us attend AMiA parishes and share its missionary passion for reaching the lost for Christ by drawing on the riches of historic Anglicanism. Born out of the Reformation but nurtured by its continuity with the apostolic faith and life of the early church, the Anglican way can only maintain its vitality amidst its current strife if it reclaims its heritage, not revise it in light of the prevailing culture. The Anglican Community Project is an effort to think creatively and constructively in a time of spiritual crisis within our church. We hope to point towards a hopeful Anglican future--and perhaps be a part of its formation.

Finally, I readily acknowledge that this vision is not unique. Let no one misunderstand us: we do not claim to have 'discovered' the idea of intentional community. Not in the least! For me, at least, the idea is only newly on the radar. Whether it be the Christian monastic tradition, Anabaptist communities like the Amish, hippy ventures like the Jesus People, Emerging Church experimental communities, the Ave Maria project in FL, and others: many other Christians have sought to live together in community to the glory of Christ. The results may be mixed; these examples alone show that we cannot uncritically adopt what others have done. Nevertheless, where others have already tread, we seek to learn. So we expect that diverse sources will come to inform our vision.

As well as diverse voices: Just as we have come together for the sake of this vision, if there is something you can contribute, please do. I welcome you and encourage you to contact us through the comments with your ideas and interest. Part of the reason we started this blog was to get the idea out there and hopefully, attract others to it. Please pray with us, think with us, for how God can use Anglican intentional community to renew our church and bring the light of Christ to the lost.

That's what has led me to the Anglican Community Project. Thanks for stopping by. May the grace and peace of Christ be with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Benedict Option Post

An Anglican Community