Anglican Studies Houses

In two previous posts on this blog, I have written about an idea for an Anglican educational community, what I now call an "Anglican Studies House." I can report some progress on that front, and would like to issue a call, as well.

Progress: I have now shared this idea with several leaders in the ACNA (and to a lesser extent, the Episcopal church), and it has received enthusiastic support. Along the way, I have also learned of at least one other such initiative already under way. I am working to organize people locally so that we might begin planting one in the Chicagoland area sometime in the next year or so.

In these conversations, I have sensed a deeply felt need to 'do education' differently, in a way that forms young people in the Anglican ethos with a uniquely Christian worldview, to the glory of Christ and the advancement of His kingdom. Many have genuinely agreed with my general assessment that Anglicans (in north America at least) have done a poor job at this. We might worship Him well in our liturgy, but do we equip people faithfully, rigorously with the mind of Christ? All our endeavors, including learning and intellectual inquiry, should be seen as sacrificial offerings unto the Lord.

Ultimately, it is my vision to see these popping up around the country and in a variety of settings. Some may be connected directly to an existing college or university (a kind of 'fraternity' or 'sorority' for students wishing to be formed in the Anglican ethos while in school). Still others might be 'free standing,' in a part of town where unique work and/or ministry opportunities might provide a inspiring context for community building (e.g., in an arts district, a poor inner city neighborhood, a pastoral location in the countryside, to name just a few). Uniting these Houses could be a network(s) for sharing ideas or collaborating. A network of Houses could be united by a common rule of life.

Now for my call: I would like to connect with you if this vision moves you. Check out my initial posts (links above) which are brief sketches of the basic vision. I want to begin organizing a conversation about these Houses, perhaps the beginnings of a network.

Are you interested? Please leave a comment, below, with your e-mail address, identifying yourself and explaining the nature of your interest. The comment will need to be approved by me, the moderator. However, out of confidentiality, I will not approve it (unless you say so). In short, your email or identity will be held in confidence by me. Then, I will know to contact you privately from my own email address. Thanks!

Of course, feel free to leave comments, too! Either way, let's do talk. . .

Comments

  1. I just read this Steve. I am very excited to see something go forward and wish you the best on this project. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have helped start an Anglican intentional community/church plant in the Chicago area. I would love to connect with you two and hear more of your vision. There are several of us in the Chicagoland area who are working for, what seem, similar goals as you.

    Jonathan
    jonathankindberg@gmail.com
    www.parksidestories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve,

    I'm interested in hearing about the plan too. I teach at a community college in Kankakee. I'm not Anglican, but your plan sounds interesting and I'd like to correspond with you about it. You can go ahead and approve my comment.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve,
    I like your plan. It's similar to what we're doing here at Nashotah House (feel free to come visit). My wife, some friends, and I have been discussing something similar, though without the specifically educational bent. I think that we need more intentional communities/ monasteries in our Anglican communion. I think that they could really provide some much needed grounding. We need more people who are committed to purposefully practicing our faith in an incarnate God.

    Peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marcus, do I know you? I too am a student at Nashotah (STM), and I must confess, what I have experienced at the House has served as the most immediate inspiration for much of my thinking. Like NT Wright said in that talk of his posted on the House's site, Nashotah seems to exist to preserve certain things that many--perhaps most--have long forgotten. Thanks be to God for the House!

    Thanks, also, to the others of you who have responded. I have not forgotten you and intend to contact you very soon to follow up. I am delighted that these ideas are gaining some traction.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Another Benedict Option Post

An Anglican Community